Micro-needling therapy or collagen induction therapy is a minimally-invasive non-surgical and nonabrasive procedure for facial rejuvenation that involves the use of a micro-needling device to create controlled skin injury.
It is a safe and increasingly popular skin renewal technique to restore the healthy youthful appearance of your skin at a fraction of the cost of comparable treatments and with minimal or zero downtime. Micro-needling therapy have comparable results to ‘ablative techniques’ such as Fractional Lasers and deep chemical peels but is much less invasive and does not require the removal of the skin’s surface. As a result, healing time is shorter and there is no posttreatment sensitivity to UV light. Micro-needling is also one of the few advanced skin therapies that is suitable for treating all skin types, including ethnic skin, fragile skin around the eyes, mouth, hands, neck and décolletage.
As each fine needle punctures the skin, it creates a channel or micro-wound. The controlled injury triggers the body to fill these micro-wounds by producing new collagen and elastin in the papillary dermis. In addition, new capillaries are formed. This neovascularization and neocollagenesis following treatment leads to reduction of scars and skin rejuvenation, i.e., improved skin texture, firmness and hydration.
All clients are required to have a full consultation and prescribed home care products to support the skin for a minimum of two weeks before treatment commences.
Includes topical anaesthetic, dermal needling treatment, post treatment hydrating serums and after care. No- needle mezotherapy post treatment is highly recommended to reduce inflammation in the skin and speed results.
POST PROCEDURE CARE:
- Micro -needling is well tolerated by patients but dryness, scaling, redness and swelling may be seen after treatment, lasting for several days or longer, depending on the depth of penetration of the needles.
- Sun protection for several weeks is recommended.
- In the case of acne scars, after the skin needling procedure, the face should be cleaned with a gentle cleanser before bed. The next day, the face may be cleansed and makeup, lotions and other topical products applied as usual.
- As the micro holes close quickly, postoperative wound infection is rare.
- Rejuvenation of skin may be seen as soon as 2 weeks and as long as 6-8 months after the medical procedure.
- Burn scars are slow to respond. It can take up to 6 months to 1 year to see the final results from a single treatment.
How many skin needling procedures does one need?
The number of needling procedures depends on the individual skin condition. Three to four treatments may be needed for moderate acne scars.
- Reducing scars (including hypertrophic scars) caused by acne, surgery or thermal burns
- Fading stretch marks
- Reducing fine lines and deep wrinkles
- Tightening sagging skin